In an unprecedentated twist of fate, we have been binky-free for 3 days, and thumb-sucking free for 2. The other day G&V were playing a super fun game called 'hide the binky no grownups allowed' and running in and out of their room hiding the binkies from me, but I wasnt allowed in to look for them. Fine by me... it went on for an hour or so and then after lunch, naptime came around and lo and behold, they couldn't find the binkies either. At first, panic overwhelmed us but then I mentioned (for the 100th time) that maybe the binky fairy would come blah blah.. and with barely a whimper they went to bed without them... of course I put a huge pile of treats outside the door and then when Dennis came home, we told him about it.
They did it again at bedtime and everyone got a sticker etc. the next morning - (I had to lie b/w G&V at bedtime and we practiced our calming breathing... blah blah.
Then the next night, D decided he wanted to try the sewn up shirt sleeve that Dr. Marks suggested, and he's done that the last few nights. I have to really lie in there for 15 min or so while D goes to sleep as he gets pretty frantic at first, but the whole explaining different ways to be calm method really seems to work.. whoohoo.. .for now.