Friday, October 2, 2009

Getting Busted...

I know, I should, as a parent, be prepared for the times when I won't be able to randomly make stuff up to suit the mood. In fact, it is probably horrible that I do this, at all. But I do, and like all my other quirks (such as wishing the kids could text me from their bedrooms), I freely admit to this fact!

So, for quite some time, I've been weaving a blurry line about why we can't do, say, or have things right now. For example, we really can't use some toys or appliances because they have to charge. The dog nail grinder, for one. That has translated into me telling Dennis on more than one instance, that we cannot skip nap and use, say, the playdough, because it has to charge until after nap. Why? Dunno...

I've also been known to sneak things like string cheese, bags of raisins, etc. into Diva and then proudly come out with my own coffee, and present the kids and Terry their bags of Diva cheese.. or even better, Diva bars (any breakfast/snack bar thingy that comes out of Diva with me.) The other day, Terry and Dennis came out of Diva with our coffees and Dad said, Dennis, Mom has your Diva Bar. Dennis started whining and said, Dad, that's not a Diva Bar, that's a Car Bar...

Dennis does have a great imagination, and he is always weaving little tales for me and then saying, Mom, I was just being silly. So, instead of being distraught, I'll just pretend my story-telling made him more creative. Yeah, that's it.

I love getting busted on other things that matter though. I was cleaning up the other day, hurriedly handing things to Dennis to put in the trash. I handed him a plastic party cup, and he said Mom, that goes in the recycle, not the trash! Oops, yes, you are right. How long til he can read the bottom triangle thingies and tell me exactly what I can put in and what the City just has to re-sort?

No comments: